008 - It has been parted out, a little

So I've stripped the cab down a little more. Tried separating the back and the front of the cab this afternoon when I got home from work, got 1 screw out but the other 2 on the side were locked tight, so I focused on the bottom monitor brass brace, no go either. So I've hit around the brass a few times with a soft mallet and sprayed a little de-greaser which was soaked into the bolt holes, I've repeated this a few times tonight, so hopefully tomorrow they loosen up and come out tomorrow. I'm also hoping that removing this brace makes the cab flex a little, which may loosen up the bolts around the sides and bottom.

Image

Image

Image

Hopefully I have the rest of the wiring removed and the cab separated by Sunday, as the missus and I are taking the parts of the cab down to the DIY Carwash and really going to town washing and scrubbing it all down.

In other news, a few packages showed up that I ordered specifically for the cab.

So plan has always been to return this cabinet to original condition, with JAMMA and using original or re-pro parts. One part of the plan though, at least for now, is to utilize a PC + JPAC in the cab. So I went looking for a cheap but powerful and up-gradable PC. I found the Dell Optiplex 9010 small form factor PC, was only $85AUD (~ $60USD) which had an Intel Core i5 3470 (3.2ghz - 3.6ghz, 4 Core) with 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 250GB Spinning Rust HDD and optical drive. But more importantly it had room to add more RAM and also had a half height PCIE 3.0 x8.0 slot.

Image

So I purchased that and replaced the HDD with a WD Blue 250GB SSD, added another 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM and found a cheap working low profile AMD Radeon HD 7450 that works well with the CRT EmuDriver and GroovyMAME. I installed Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, used a guide to completely hide windows, flashed the video card with ATOM-15 so the boot up is in 15khz (Lost access to the BIOS via the Radeon, its completely blank now, but if I plug a Display Port monitor into the Onboard graphics I can still access the UEFI Bios).

On boot up, its completely black until Attract-Mode loads. With attract mode, I have just used full screen videos with a simple wheel on the side as I dislike the Hyperspin overdone style. At the moment its just MAME, Naomi, Atomiswave, Model 2 and Model 3, no plans to add console or computers (I may add some Steam Arcade games like Ultra SF4 / KOF14 / Fightcade etc). I toyed with the Idea of having a Tablet with a games list that you can choose remotely, but that seemed a little overkill...

Also got a JPAC, DVI->VGA Double Choked Cable and VGA Gender Changer. Still awaiting the NOS Astro Control Panel, but that will take a while as it had to be shipped Sea Mail due to the current crisis :'(

More to come soon!

Comments