005 - It has to be removed!

So now onto what I've been dreading the most (apart from the monitor)... How to remove the main marquee and speaker grills without cracking/destroying it?

Image

Thanks to some help from Nem (from the ArcadeOtaku Forums);
nem wrote:
18 Jul 2020 22:32
Yeah, it's held on with double sided tape. I removed mine with force and slightly cracked it. You could try to warm it up with a hairdryer to soften up the adhesive.
 
Figured, I'd go the slow and steady route. Starting with a hairdryer and a nespresso capsule box with tape on the end, it was working but the nespresso capsule box wasn't rigid enough...

Image

So then my girlfriend suggested one of her hairdresser combs, wow that was a stroke of genius! Worked excellently, the teeth of the comb sliced into the sticky tape stuff and I just repeated that a few times, then used a sawing motion to remove the bulk of it!!

Image

But I did have the heat up a little high, lol. In a stroke of luck, it actually made the comb even better to use, with the melted end becoming like a soft scraping tool and the teeth melted together to became like a saw blade!

Kept going slow, but the melted comb sped things up so much, once I had a little gap I could basically rip out the remaining gunk.

Image

SUCCESS!! a few scratches in the black, but that is repairable! We have the TECHNOLOGY!

Image

Eeewwwww, 25+ years of grime and crud. So glad I did this, as I'm sure it would have annoyed the crap out of me once the cab was back together!

Image

So that's it for the front Facia, I also removed the speaker wiring and it was black and greasy. Soaked it in dishwasher liquid twice with hot water, did a little but then I used some goo-gone and it basically ripped through the grease and grime. Did that twice and soak in water and a drying rub the wiring came out super nice, still a little faded but its all clean. Not sure yet, I might end up replacing the wiring but I'd like to keep the cab as original as possible.

Image

Next up? Remove all the wiring from the main cab and prepare it for the clean and polish of its life, Oh boy!

Comments